Date:      28 Dec 2001 13:47:19 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Johann Sharizan <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software Recommendations

Johann Sharizan <johann@broadpark.no> writes:

> Are there any websites or something similar out there, listing the most popular software for a task, recommended by experienced gurus?
>
> This is my 2nd try posting this question, I hope it made more sense.

It seems a resonably question, if poorly formatted. (Limit your lines
to about 70 characters, please.  This ain't HTML.)

The only site I can think of is freshmeat.net which attempts to give
software ratings (probably unreliable) and allows people to add comments
(probably few or none).

If you have several candidates for a particular task, count their
mentions with http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search to find
their relative popularity (or bugginess?).