Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:37:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tom Pavel <pavel@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel versions and kld modules [WAS: this of interest to anyone?]

On Monday,  5 July 1999 at 15:42:13 -0700, Tom Pavel wrote:

>> A few key suggestions for people still along for the ride:
>>
>> 1: When you've got a good running kernel that you're happy with, do yourself
>> a big favour and copy it from /kernel to /kernel.ok or something like that.
>> So, when you manage to get a bad /kernel and /kernel.old, you've still got
>> a fallback that doesn't mean resorting to a fixit disk boot.
>
> This reminds me of something I wanted to ask about.  A little while
> back I made the typical junior mistake of building/installing a new
> kernel without doing the make install of the related modules.  In my
> case, the crash came from kernfs and it was easy to boot single-user
> and comment out a line in fstab.
>
> But my question is with the trend towards more module-ization of the
> kernel, does saving a /kernel.old make sense without saving a
> /modules.old?  Should the config-generated Makefile for the kernel
> have a target to build and install the new modules as well (as opposed
> to installing them with make world)?  Should we install modules into
> some path identified by a kernel version (whatever that means
> exactly)?

You've come up with a point I've been wanting to make for some time.
The kernel build should really build the modules as well, and the
install should change things as you suggest.  Of course, that takes up
more space, but I believe it's necessary.

> I suppose much of this becomes a non-issue outside of -current,

Not really.  Less of an issue, yes, but it's still there.

Greg