Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:15:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        k-horik@yk.rim.or.jp
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, man-jp-core@jp.FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal to put Japanese online manuals into freefall CVS repository

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 k-horik@yk.rim.or.jp wrote:

>  Now doc/ja_JP.EUC have been moved to doc/ja (thanks Peter Wemm!) and
> I heard www/data/ja_JP.EUC will be moved to www/data/ja, so I think
> there is no barrier to import Japanese online manuals into doc/ja/man.
>  If there is no problem, I would like to ask Satoshi Asami and
> Hiroyuki Hanai to do so.  Is it OK?

If I may raise one small point that I just thought of...the
primary reason for moving things into a doc tree separate from
the main src tree was that the handbook and FAQ cover multiple
FreeBSD releases.  Tracking changes on three separate CVS
branches was just all hassle with no benefit.  The related issue
was maintaining the doc tools in all three branches.

So, to what degree do these Japanese docs cover all FreeBSD
versions?  If they document details of specific tools, then it
might actually be a good thing for them to follow branches of the
main src tree.  As it stands, the doc tree doesn't take branches.

Would it work to put them right in src/share/man?  How disruptive
would it be to add Japanese capabilities to the groff and man in
the main source tree?

Thoughts?

-john