Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:49:28 -0600
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mntkz@mntkz.net
Subject:   Re: error during mysql323-server installation, how to configure hostname command.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:22:18 -0600 (CST)
Mantas Kriauciunas <mntkz@mntkz.net> wrote:

> Hey!
> when i try to 'make install' mysql323-server i get:
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> /usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db
> Sorry, the host 'mntkz' could not be looked up.
> Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
> If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
> the --force option
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server.
>
> --
> how to fix this? if i do --force on mysql_install_db then make install doesn't work anymore, and i can't start mysql server because of few problems, i guess it doesn't install up to the end.

Are you using DHCP to get an IP address for the machine you
are installing mysql323-server on ?

If so, you need some further DNS/DHCP configuration so the
PC has a resolvable address, I use the client MAC address
in the DHCP server configuration so this PC always gets
the same IP address, and then can "hard code" a host
entry in the PC's /etc/hosts or in the DNS server.
Alternatly you could not use DHCP for this machines IP
address, and give it an IP address in your subnet that is not
part of your DHCP pool of available addresses and add static
DNS and /etc/hosts entrys for this PC.

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com