Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/28179: vsftpd port creates a user without a warning

The following reply was made to PR ports/28179; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: User Rsimmons <rsimmons@beanweevil.wlcg.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:45:05 +0300

 On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:36:54PM -0500, User Rsimmons wrote:

 > >Number:         28179
 > >Category:       ports
 > >Synopsis:       vsftpd port creates a user without a warning
 > >Originator:     Rob Simmons
 > >Environment:
 > System: FreeBSD beanweevil 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Sat Apr 21 18:06:49 CDT 2001 rsimmons@beanweevil:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BEANWEEVIL i386

 > The port vsftpd-0.0.10 creates an ftp user without warning you about it.
 > There should be a warning just after running make install about the user
 > being created and that you need to remove the user yourself if you remove the
 > port.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Install the port, and check vipw.  You will see a new user called "ftp".
 > >Fix:
 > Just add a warning after installation about the user that was created.
 > A warning similar to the warnings about the addition of /usr/local/etc/rc.d
 > scripts would be good enough.

 Many ports create their own users, e.g. databases/mysql323-server, or
 mail/vpopmail, or mail/qmail..  Actually, most server applications need
 or at least want to run under a specific user, so as not to endanger
 the system in case of a compromise.

 But yes, maybe the ports build framework should warn about changes
 to the password file, too..

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.