Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun automounter -> fbsd amd problem

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Studded wrote:

> Greetings, :)
>
> 	I'm adding a FreeBSD machine to an existing all-sun shop and I
> need help with setting up amd. I'm a virtual NFS novice (although for
> those that don't know me I'm experienced with other aspects of FreeBSD).
> On our sun machines we have the following auto_Directory file:
>
> *	IP&:/usr/&
>
> To translate, if I'm on local and I want to mount the /usr/foo directory
> on remote (where "IPfoo" is an alias in /etc/hosts for "remote") I just do
> 'cd /Directory/foo' and voila, I'm there. That's what the ampersand means
> in the automounter file.

	Well I am pleased to report that I figured it out. :) I'm
responding to my own post so that the answer will be archived. As it turns
out, one of my points of confusion was that there are actually several
different ways to start amd. What I chose to do was to put the following
settings in the amd.conf file. The comments are my own and reflect my
limited understanding of the technology.

[ global ]
# Only search for maps of this type
map_type =               file

# Search this path for maps
search_path =            /etc

# Use this directory for amd's private mount points
auto_dir =               /mnt

# Log all activity to syslog (daemon)
log_file =              syslog
log_options =            all

# Check /etc/hosts for hostnames
normalize_hostnames =   yes

# Lock the amd process into memory, improves perf.
plock =                 yes

# Use the special /default entry in maps
selectors_on_default =   yes

# DEFINE AN AMD MOUNT POINT
[ /Interfaces ]
map_name =               amd.Interfaces

	Using that amd.conf file all I have to do is run 'amd' and I'm all
set. The amd.Interfaces file looks like this:

/defaults       type:=nfs;opts:=rw,nosuid

*               rhost:=IP${key};rfs:=/Space/${key}

	So now I can simply 'cd /Interfaces/foo' and assuming that there
is an alias in /etc/hosts for "IPfoo", amd mounts "/Space/foo" on the
hostname referred to by that alias to the local /Interfaces/foo. Pretty
slick stuff if you ask me!

	Now that I have some understanding of this I look forward to
putting NFS to use.

Hope this is of use to someone,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter
what it does.
                -- Will Rogers