Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:10:18 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Try to delete files

On Thursday 10 July 2003 06:21 am, Nigel Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hi, in my years of using freebsd i have collected alot of distfiles
> in the ports tree and i want to free up some space on my harddrive
> and i was wondering is there a command to delete files in the
> distfiles folder that are less than the year 2000?
>
> Or maybe there is a program that deletes all the older releases in
> the distfiles? if someone could help i would be gratefully

Install /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

Then "portsclean -CD" to remove "work" files from /usr/ports/ and to
remove all non-referenced files in /usr/ports/distfiles/

Its not safe to delete distfiles older than 2000 because a very large
number of current distfiles are much older than that. Use "ls -lt" to
see for yourself after having cleaned up with portsclean.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net