Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:59:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        "FreeBSD Newbies @ FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions @ FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Learn device drivers

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Gautham Ganapathy wrote:
> Where can i get info on writing device drivers for FreeBSD ? Is there any
> book available for this ? Also, are they similar to Linux drivers ?

Let me second that. I've got a Myson MTD803 NIC -- which is *definitely*
not an rl driver supported device -- and even the source to a driver that
claims to work under FreeBSD 2.2. It starts with

	#include "bpfilter.h"

which doesn't exist (anymore). Then there's lots of device-driver related
CPP macros that have changed since 2.2. I'd like to port this driver to
-stable or -current, so that I can use this NIC. Advice? Or should I just
thrash around and try to copy an existing driver, like rl?

On a similar note, has anyone looked into the via kt266a southbridge
(via8233) sound? It claims to be H/W SB compatible, but the SB driver and
the via82c686 driver can't handle it (it's PCI ID is via:3059, whereas the
via82c686 has PCI ID via:3058). Hm, not even the ALSA project has a driver
for it. This bodes ill ..