Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 16:39:09 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Portsmeister!

 * Well, I think it would be a lot easier if you first explained to me
 * how you intended on making post-* work.  It's not trivial, given the
 * way Make dependencies only "chain" in one direction!  Or have you
 * simply overlooked something I missed?  It's hard to say, which is why
 * I'd like to see your proposal before saying anything more! :-)

Well, I was going to copy the "post-configure" thing into the build
target (right before the touch) and do a 's/configure/build/g' on it.
Why doesn't that work?  I guess I'm overlooking something, huh? ;)

 * > This sounds good, but we have to assess what preparations people
 * > actually need.  It would be great if we can run it on an already
 * > "install"ed and "clean"ed directory too, in which case depending it on
 * > install is not a good idea.
 *
 * I think it will end up being port-dependant and there won't be a damn
 * thing you can do about it. :-)

Well, but we can at least export a macro that does checks like
LIB_DEPENDS and EXEC_DEPENDS for the demo writer's convenience....

 * The harmonizing with pkg_*?  That would be very nice, yes.

I'll send out another message about this later.

 * Yes, well, since you're working on the GUIDELINES _anyway_.. :-)

Hey, I thought I punted the GUIDELINES and you fair-caught it!  No? ;)

Satoshi