Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:32:17 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just how stackable is our FS code?

Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth wrote:

> I was thinking of a file system that's layered over both local & NFS
> filesystems, effectively doing similar volume management to vinum, but on a
> distributed basis. This means a namespace that's unique within a group of
> machines, with the ability to have a file spanning more than one
> node/partition.

How stackable?  Depends who you ask. :-)

Michael Hancock (sp?) has been doing some good stuff with cleaning up of
the allocation and freeing of locks and resources, but there's more work to
do still.  You might find that the remaining warts will make life truely
"interesting".  There are a number of unresolved issues with the vnode
locked/unlocked protocol as well as advisory file locking and directory
cookies and readdir/lseek interaction etc.

> 	Stephen

Cheers,
-Peter
--