Date:      Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:02:53 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Driver failed to allocate 49152 bytes of DMA buffer?

Hi there,

Still with the teething problems on my new AMD Athlon-X2 system:

I've been a happy user of an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card for
several years.  This card isn't supported by FreeBSD's drivers
(no doubt because device information is not available without
NDA), but I've been happily using 4front-technologies OSS driver
for FreeBSD.  That was on my old single-processor Pentium-III
system, under FreeBSD 4, 5 and 6.

4Front have a driver available for FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-amd64,
which should do the job, but it won't start properly, giving the
following boot-time error messages:

Feb  1 15:52:00 duncan kernel: OSS: Unable to allocate 49152 bytes for a DMA buffer
Feb  1 15:52:00 duncan kernel: run soundoff and run soundon again.
Feb  1 15:52:00 duncan kernel: Envy24: Failed to allocate 49152 bytes of DMA buffer
Feb  1 15:52:00 duncan kernel: oss: Probing the hardware for IC Ensemble ENVY24 failed.

I've been starting it from /etc/rc.local, which always seemed to
be the right spot, but even so, the log file shows 11 seconds of
uptime before "soundon" gets run.

This machine has 1G of memory, and seems to behave the same way
irrespective of whether I boot with the second processor enabled
or not.

uname -a says:
FreeBSD duncan.reilly.home 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #3: Wed Feb  1 15:38:17 EST 2006 root@duncan.reilly.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  amd64

What are the chances that there has been a regression of some
sort in this area since 6.0-RELEASE (which didn't boot on the
board because of ACPI issues that have since been fixed)?

Is there any kernel memory debugging information that I can
investigate, to see why such a (seemingly) small amount of
memory can't be allocated?

Cheers,

--
Andrew