Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:04:04 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
To:        eculp <eculp@encontacto.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do SpamAssassin spamd and Obspamd  play nicely together?

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:54:40AM -0600, eculp wrote:
> Quoting Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>:
>> http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/openbsd-spamd.txt
>
> Sorry, but I have one other question.  Are you still using obspamd on the
> machines you set up when you wrote the above link?  Your reasons on why or
> why not would be greatly appreciated.

No, we're not.  The main reason we reverted back to postgrey was because
OpenBSD spamd cannot add an SMTP header to mails detailing how long the
mail was delayed for.  postgrey, since it's a postfix policy service,
adds an X-Greylist header to mails allowing users to see just how long
the greylisting delay was.  This feature has come in handy for tracking
down greylisting problems.  An example header:

Here's an example of one which I should probably track down in our SMTP
logs to see if the delay was caused by something other than redelivery
time on the remote SMTP server:

I would love to try OpenBSD spamd again, but it's not a policy service
service like postgrey is -- OpenBSD spamd has absolutely no way of
inserting any data into delivered mail, because it's implemented with
pf(4) and is not a policy service.

It's quite possible to make a piece of software that would act as a
policy service for postfix which could get details of greylisted mails
and when they were actually delivered by OpenBSD spamd.  Just thinking
about it makes me consider writing it.  :-)  Would be quite useful...