Date:      Sat, 08 Aug 2009 19:31:10 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd-update question

Richard Mahlerwein wrote:

[snip]

> I currently have my little westell DSL router set to be my DNS for all my
> boxes behind it.  While a neat little box, it has its issues from time to
> time.  Should I at least point my DNS to the DNS it uses to save an extra
> relay?

Depends. I don't know if the Westell does any caching of recursive queries.
I don't use it as I have a FreeBSD gateway box that runs my DNS. I have it
forwarding to OpenDNS DNS servers, so I don't even use Verizon's. Locally
caching DNS lookups locally saves trips. Various different configs are
possible, and all will probably do the job effectively. YMMV

> Sort of off topic, but it has begun to annoy me that Verizon has decided
> to redirect requests to domains that don't exist to their search pages.  I
> haven't noticed they are proxying, but they could be if they did so
> reasonably transparently.  And, with hijacking nonexistent domains,
> they've led me to believe they COULD be doing something goofy like that.
> Is there any easy way to actually confirm or deny they're doing more goofy
> stuff?

This is how you opt out of this "service":

http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&case=dns_assist

Essentially just change the Verizon DNS server IP last two numbers from .12
to .14 for both Primary and Secondary in your Westell.

-Mike