Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:31:18 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Jon Falconer <jfalconer@puc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap question

Jon Falconer wrote:
> Is there a utility that whould show what ports will be updated from the
> current "fetched" files? The man page does not indicate that there is a
> "show what would happen but don't do it" option.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this, but

sort /var/db/portsnap/INDEX |
	comm -3 - /usr/ports/.portsnap.INDEX |
	cut -f 1 -d '|'

should output the files/directories being added and removed in the
1st and 2nd columns respectively.  (Something which is modified
will appear in both columns, of course.)

Colin Percival