Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:07:44 -0500
From:      "Michael A. Alestock" <michaela@maa-net.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dialup Modem/FreeBSD v4.9

I run a server on FreeBSD v4.9 and have broadband access on it.  However, I also have a dialup modem (external) that I use to dial-in when I can't access the box via broadband because of connection issues, etc.

Is there a way to assign an IP address to the modem device (/dev/cuaa1) so that when I do a "who" or "last" while dialed in, I'll be able to see an assigned IP address of the device /dev/cuaa1?   Or is that only for /dev/tty's ????

Any faq or link to a FreeBSD.org section on this would be much appreciated.  I looked around, but couldn't find anything on what I was looking for.