Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 14:21:17 -0400
From:      Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I can't disklabel a disk slice.

I have been struggling with disklabel in an attempt to disklabel a new slice.
I can get it to disklabel a whole disk, but not a slice:
[whole disk -- this is a zip disk BTW]
        # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1 count=2
        2+0 records in
        2+0 records out
        1024 bytes transferred in 0.040394 secs (25350 bytes/sec)
        # disklabel -Brw sd1 auto
        # disklabel sd1
        # /dev/rsd1c:
        type: unknown
        disk:
        label:
        flags:
        bytes/sector: 512
        sectors/track: 32
        tracks/cylinder: 64
        sectors/cylinder: 2048
        cylinders: 96
        sectors/unit: 196608
        rpm: 3600
        interleave: 1
        trackskew: 0
        cylinderskew: 0
        headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
        track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
        drivedata: 0

        8 partitions:
        #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
          c:   196608        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 95)
[slice -- same disk after zeroing and fdisking]
        # fdisk sd1
        ******* Working on device /dev/rsd1 *******
        parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
        cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

        parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
        cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

        Media sector size is 512
        Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
        Information from DOS bootblock is:
        The data for partition 1 is:
        sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
            start 1, size 98303 (47 Meg), flag 0
                beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
                end: cyl 47/ sector 32/ head 63
        The data for partition 2 is:
        <UNUSED>
        The data for partition 3 is:
        <UNUSED>
        The data for partition 4 is:
        sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
            start 98304, size 98304 (48 Meg), flag 80 (active)
                beg: cyl 48/ sector 1/ head 0;
                end: cyl 95/ sector 32/ head 63
        # disklabel -Brw sd1s4 auto
        disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
        # disklabel -Brw sd1s1 auto
        disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
What is wrong?  I have tried all "n" combinations of options to disklabel
but it seems as if the kernel won't let me disklabel a slice.  Once it
has been done (vi /stand/sysinstall) it can be edited with "disklabel -e",
but that does me no good -- I can't scriptify sysinstall.

Also, if one does get it disklabeled and then the label becomes invalid
(I moved a partition on my hard disk with Partition-It) even disklabel -e
can't write the label (I tried to edit the values to make the moved
partition correct again).

Is there a bug?  Am I missing some "magic" option to force it?  How come
sysinstall can do it but disklabel can't?

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@dgms.com              +1 609 608 2758
DGM&S Telecom, 1025 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054     Fax:+1 609 866 8850