Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 00:58:26 +0100
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-current issues (build 97-06-28)

David Greenman writes:

>I wrote:
>>This isn't really a big problem for me, since I only use pstat -T
>>as a way of tracking swap file usage, and I can use swapinfo instead,
>
>   Huh? That should be "pstat -s" to look at swap usage.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that I grabbed the output of pstat -T
at regular intervals as one way of keeping a track of overall system
'load' -- not just on FreeBSD boxes, but other (shock! horror! :)
OS's as well.  One of the stats that I was mainly interested in was
swapfile usage, but the other numbers help as well.

>   I was the one who commented it out. It caused sysctl on systems the size of
>yours to coredump, and caused systems larger than yours to panic. The vnode
>table on wcarchive, for instance, is 45000 entries large and the mechanism
>that is used to copy all of the many megabytes of kernel data structures out
>to the user process simply can't handle things this large. There are also
>security concerns when exporting detailed information about open files.

Understood.  The only question that remains is should the pstat source
be modified to remove the offending sysctl() so that it at least returns
a full (as much as possible) set of information, instead of barfing
on the KERN_VNODE sysctl() ??

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet Ltd.