Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 1995 13:24:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Max procs per user

On Mon, 27 Feb 1995, Guido van Rooij wrote:

> Guy Helmer wrote:
> > Is there a common way of increasing the max processess allowed per user
> > in FreeBSD 1.1.5.1?  Is it "options MAXUPRC" in the kernel configuration
> > file?
>
> You could recomfigure uoru kernel with a higher 'maxusers' setting.
> If you dont want that, look in /sys/conf/param.c for NPROC or such.
> Determijne the new value and put options NPROC="blah" in your kernel
> config.

I neglected to mention that the kernel has been configured with "maxusers
128", which I assumed would create a vastly sufficient number of processes
for the entire system (2068, according to the formula in param.c for this
particular kernel).  When looking through kernel include files, it
appeared that there is a limit of 40 procs per user ("#define MAXUPRC
CHILD_MAX" in /sys/sys/param.h, where CHILD_MAX is 40 in syslimits.h), but
I was hoping there was a way around that.  Perhaps I have to change the
include files and rebuild the kernel?

> In FreeBSD 2.1 you can increase this limit runtime with
> 	sysctl kern.maxprocperuid

That will be nice!

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu