Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:29:16 +0100
From:      Peter Clark <pac@bvemx.ppco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem installing FreeBSD Release 2.2.2.

Please can someone help me? I have a problem with installing FreeBSD
release 2.2.2 on my PC. I have a new second hard disk, 1.2Gb, running on
a PCI/IDE bus in mode 4. I am trying to load FreeBSD onto it, using all
of the disk except the 'compatibility' partition at the front, offered
to me by the kernel creation process. I am getting a message 'Write
ERROR! -1 bytes written of 1024' with a bytes-transferred count which
appears to suggest that it is partway through writing from the bin.as
file (46056 bytes in). I obtained the /bin software by downloading it
from the Internet using Netscape Navigator 3.0, from
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.2-RELEASE/bin , onto the C drive
of my WindowsNT 4.0 machine at work, and then transferring the DOS files
to floppies for use at home. I am using the latest (May 27) boot floppy
from ..../newer/boot.flp and have tried installing both from floppies
and from a DOS partition (the floppies content dumped to my home PC's C
drive - the new disk is the D drive). I have tried downloading the bin
files several times, reformatting and reloading the floppies (several
different ones), scanning the hard disk both in Win95 and using the
bad-blocks scan of the FreeBSD installation process: no bad
tracks/blocks. The kernel configuration process seems to go ok: no
device conflicts, no apparent nasty messages, no problems with the
boot-manager installation or with partitioning the disk. The only things
I can think of are that either: (1) the file bin.as is corrupt on the
Internet, or
(2) Netscape Navigator is somehow corrupting the file as it downloads on
my NT machine.
Have I come across a bug in Mavigator? Am I missing something in my
naivete (I am installing this to learn more about Unix)?
I would very much appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Pete Clark.