Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2020 09:56:36 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: efi: WARNING: Unable to alias diskid/DISK-... to enc@n306168... - path too long

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 10:48:08 -0600 Alan Somers asomers@freebsd=2Eorg said

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 10:37 AM Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge=2Ecom> wrote:
>=20
> > I'm getting the following message on a fresh install of 12=2E1:
> > WARNING: Unable to alias diskid/DISK-WD-WCANM2154600 to
> >
> > enc@n3061686369656d30/type@0/slot@1/elmdesc@Slot_00/diskid/DISK-WD-WCAN=
M2154600
> > - path too long
> > Actually, there are several similar messages=2E Which required me to
> > perform several disk related tasks in order to get a successful boot
> > into the new system=2E It's GPT/UFS(2) if it matters=2E But I suspect
> > it's more related to fbsd' implementation of EFI, as it relates to my
> > BIOS' implementation (Intel Sandy Bridge)=2E What can I do to make
> > everything happy?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --Chris
> >
> When did you see that message?  Was it printed from the bootloader, or
> after you booted?  If it happened after boot, then they're probably
> harmless, but you can make them go away by setting
> kern=2Egeom=2Elabel=2Edisk_ident=2Eenable=3D0=2E
Thanks for the reply!
It's during boot, and found in dmesg=2Eboot=2E I wouldn't care so much,
except I was unable to boot into the system until I performed a
gpart modify -i <N> -l <SLICE-LABEL> on all the slices, and modify
fstab(5) accordingly=2E Kind of a rough start for an install IMHO=2E :)

Thanks again, for the reply, Alan!

--Chris