Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:12:04 +0700
From:      "Joni S" <jonisetiawan@hotpop.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fw: Mail spool file

Hi all,

Since I haven't got the response yet, I repost my question here...

I use Sendmail 8.9.3 with FreeBSD 3.3R on my email server running on COMPAQ
ProLiant 1600R (RAID 5 configured). Recently I had a problem with my mail
spool file. Many of my user's spool file are huge file (400 to 800 MB).

Once the users retrieve the email using Qpopper in the server, they got so
many garbage inside their inbox. The garbage mail contain some text that
might be
FreeBSD system, binary, log, or script file.
Immediately I checked mail spool files, and..... , yes, they contain garbage
message.
I stopped SMTP and POP3 daemon, and I run fsck 10 times until it reported no
more
errors. Then I copied all those mail spool files to other directory. But,
when I compared
the original mail spool file with the one that I copied, it was not
identical.

My questions are:
1. Why that many of the big spool files could contain garbage?
2. Why that the copy process did not resulted in two identical file?

Thank you so much,

Joni Setiawan