Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2012 16:31:55 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WITH_NEW_XORG=yes -- failure

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In message <20121107094025.eb6a8a29022113b33605505a@gmx.com>,
> Brett <brett.mahar@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well, I found a spare drive (or rather a spare partition) and I did the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> 1)  Installed FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 (kernel+base)
>>> 2)  login as root
>>> 3)  portsnap fetch extract
>>> 4)  Inserted  WITH_NEW_XORG=yes into /etc/make.conf
>>> 5)  setenv BATCH yes
>>> 6)  cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade; make install
>>> 7)  portinstall xorg gthumb x11-wm/fvwm2
>>> 8)  X -configure
>>>

>>> (II) [KMS] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol, no kernel modesetting.
>>> Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
>>>   Configuration failed.
>>
>>Doesn't make.conf also need "WITH_KMS=true"?
>

> If you're asking me, my answer is "I have no idea."
>
> Where would I find this information?

What graphics device does the system have? If it is a recent Intel
processor (Sandybridge or Ivybridge) with integrated graphics
(HD3000), you need WITH_KMS=YES. If it's any other graphics, you do
not want WITH_KMS. It should be in /etc/make.conf, it you have it or
need it. If you change it, you will need to build the kernel and
modules. (Please don't put WITH_KMS=NO if you don't want it. Just
remove the line.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com