Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 1995 10:21:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Berger <peterb@telerama.lm.com>
To:        William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inodes for news server

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, William Wong [asking about Usenet configuration] wrote:

> Would like to know how best to configure the partitions for best performance.
> Example:
>
>   Would it be best to have / and swap on one drive and /usr on another *or*
>   / and /usr on one drive and swap on another *or* etc. ...?

There ar four conceptual parts to a News system:

1) Operating system.  /, /usr, /var, etc.
2) The history database.
3) The actual news spool.
4) Swap partitions.

Basically, your best optimizations come from splitting in this order:

1) split the history database from the news spool.
2) split the news spool from itself (ie, put "alt" on one disk and
everything else somewhere else)
3) split the news spool (and history) from the swap partition.
4) split the operating system off.

(3 is memory dependent...if you have less than 48 meg of core memory it
might become more inmportant).

The history database sitting on it's own disk is a major win,
because it gets accessed once for each article that arrives, and every
time expire runs.  It doesn't need two gigs though -- a 500 meg disk is
more than adequate to hold two copies of a pretty big history file (and
nothing else!)

Be sure you read the INN FAQ -carefully!- before splitting things up.
INN seriously assumes you're on one big disk, and there are lots of nasty
little flags you need to give to news.daily, expire, fastrm, and the like
to make things work correctly.

Good luck!