Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 09:05:04 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Stephane Raimbault <stephane@cybersurf.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Window sizes in X

Stephane Raimbault:
 |Hello, just wondering if there is a way to make the size of windows when
 |you start a program always come up to a value the user prefers?
 |
 |ex:
 |
 |I open Netscape and the size of the window is a certain size but I want
 |the window to be 800x600 on startup of the program.  Is there a way to
 |force the Netscape windows to open at 800x600 rather than its default
 |size.

For Netscape, couple of things.

1) Use the cmd line option -geometry as another poster suggested,

2) You can put something like this in your .Xdefaults:

   Netscape.geometry:  800x600+0+0

(don't forget to log out and back in, or "xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults" to
cause it to take effect), or

3) you can create a file called "Netscape" that has the above
Netscape.geometry line in it and put it in your X resource file search
path.  E.g.:

    mkdir ~/cfg/app-defaults
    echo "Netscape.geometry:  800x600+0+0" > ~/cfg/app-defaults/Netscape
    setenv XAPPLRESDIR ~/cfg/app-defaults

I prefer option #3 because it keeps my .Xdefaults from being a huge mess
(segmenting them by application), reduces possibilities of resource
conflicts, reduces application startup time, and avoids having to run
anything to retest after changing resources.

Most other X apps work similarly.  You just need to check the man page to
determine what the application class name is (e.g. "Netscape") so you know
what to name the file.

Randall Hopper