Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:08:45 -0600
From:      "Chuck Rock" <carock@epconline.net>
To:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What anti-sniffer measures do i have?

Well there is another option you may not know about....

Encrypion on the physical level.

3Com make new network cards with built in encryption that works up to full
duplex 100Meg.

Secures sensitive data by delivering 3DES,DES,MD5,and SHA-1

Check out the specs here....
http://www.3com.com/products/nics/3cr990fb.html

I don't know if anyone has built any drivers for FreeBSD, but I think it's
worth it. They make one for the server too that allows redundant NIC's for
failover protection.

There appear to be beta drivers for Linux for these network cards as well...
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linuxdownload.htm

I can sell the 3CR990-TX-97 which provides 168 Bit encryption for about $120
each.
And the 3CR990-SVR-97 for $115.

I haven't used these, but the principal sounds good. I think the only
drawback is, any server using one probably has to have one in each client
computer, or there would be no way for them to speak to each other. This
would rule out some other equipment as well, but they are supposed to be
compliant with IPSec.

If anyone has used these, I would be interested in hearing how well they
work in a "real" environment running other O/S's and routers and such.

Chuck