Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:00:27 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting new entries in /etc/rc.conf

On Nov 26, 2003, at 06:55, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> At Wed, 26 Nov 2003 it looks like Lowell Gilbert composed:
>
>> With something as important as starting up a mailer, I recommend a
>> quick reboot just to be sure that it will start back up
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> This FreeBSD box is a headless one which is also has a DB9 to a
> headless Ultra-10 at my house and when I reboot it does
> something wonky to the Ultra-10 so I'd hate to do that remotely
> right now for I'm at work and couldn't "kick-it" manually if I
> had to.

If you're running the U10 headless, dropping DTR on the connection
will, by default, drop the U10 into OpenBoot, stopping execution of the
OS (this is true on most if all Sun boxes, not just the U10).  There's
a simple setting change to make on the U10 if you don't want this to
happen.  I no longer recall what it is offhand, but a quick Google
should fix you up.

Even if you still don't want to reboot the fbsd box, I'd think you'd
want to fix this for reliability reasons.

KeS