Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 20:00:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Yaning Wang <yaning@shell.dave-world.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CDROM can not be found

My CD is connected with a soundcard (Matshita CDROM/Panasonic Drive CR-563),
however, it is supported by FreeBSD 2.2.1 according to The Complete FreeBSD
(Walnut Creek CDROM). But it just can not be recognized. Each time during the
installation, whenever I chose CDROM as the installation medium, the error
message says: CD-ROM can not be found. (I bootup from DOS and launch the
installation from the CD-ROM). Therefore, I was forced to divid my 2nd HD
as two partitions inorder to use DOS partition to install (which works).
The problem is the 2nd disk is too small and I do not know how to reclaim
the DOS partition (I want use whole 2nd disk for FreeBSD). The bigger
problem is the CD still can not be recognized. So, all those software
on the CD can not be loaded. Please help, thanks.
(Please also advise how to mount floppy A: drive, which is not recognized
neither)

My 1st HD is Western Digital 2.5G HD. It is controlled by WD EZ Drive
because of the BIOS limitation. It is running under Win 95. I tried but
failed many many time to install FreeBSD 2.2.1 to this disk. It seems
FreeBSD has trouble to know EZ Drive. Actually, I can live with this
situation (1st HD for Win 95, 2nd for FreeBSD). The problem is how
and where should I install the BootMgr, so that when computer boots up
I can have the choice to boot up from which disk (It seems it can only
let you chose to bootup from which partition of the same disk).
The only choice I have now is by switching the cable :-), to decide
to use which OS.

Any help is highly appreciated.

My machine:
Packard Bell Legend 100CD
Pentium 60
Matshita CDROM/Panasonic Drive CR-563
HD1 Western Digital 2500RTL, 2.5G (Win 95, controled by EZ Drive)
HD2 Seagate ST3491A, 420M (FreeBSD, can be controlled by either EZ drive or BIOS)
RAM 24M

--
Yaning Wang
TP Analyst