Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 18:16:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loader badly broken on the alpha

> Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > I think I had determined (I thought) that it was just loader itself, but I
> > could be wrong.
>
> The problem is that the loader is now too large, it cannot fit inside the
> ~208K window that boot1 has got available to it.
>
> peter@ashburton[12:14am]/home/obj/home/src/sys/boot/alpha/loader-130# nm loader.sym | sort | tail -1
> 000000002003e190 A end
>
> The VM space ends at 2004000.  I can't find where, but I was pretty sure that
> the last 8K page was already spoken for and we've clobbered it.
>
> Was the pnp stuff added to the Alpha loader images?  That is what probably
> tipped it over the edge.

I've been looking at this a little bit. The last last 8k may not be entirely
spoken for, because previous loader.sym's had:

000000002003d260 A _end
000000002003d260 A end

But if it's 8k (and I don't know anything much about this really- I have never
delved to much into this portion of alphas) this may explain why the boot
stuff never did work right entirely for all models (e.g., off of floppy for a
rawhide).

In any case, this one is a hard one. I was comparing object sizes between June
23'd loader.sym and the current one on alpha, and there's no one single thing
that got all that much bigger!

We need to pull out 3408 bytes- but it's not that simple- bcopy seems to take
2544 bytes, which is ridiculously large for a boot block- so I replaced it
with a dopey one line C function but that didn't change _end for me, so I have
to look at the linker magic some I guess.

-matt