Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 06:11:31 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, Will Andrews <will@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/archivers Makefile ports/archivers/macutil            Makefile ports/archivers/macutil/files md5            ports/archivers/macutil/patches patch-aa ports/archivers/macutil/pkg            COMMENT DESCR PLIST

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 11:26:07PM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * Okay, then I vote for moving them. Utilities which extract files from
>  * archives belong in the archivers category.

This is my vote too.

> However, note that the reason why we originally put them in the
> emulators directory is that it is often a very fine line between
> emulators and archivers for foreign operating systems.  What
> constitutes "emulation" is not easy to define.  For instance, should a
> program that can read Apple format floppies be in emulators or
> archivers?  What if it can also decode binhex?  Or what about a
> program that can read CP/M format floppies?  What if it provided an
> interface like the CCP?  (Now I'm dating myself. :)

Well, you know.. it's not exactly emulation since, with these programs
(source code, too, not just binaries like vmware and friends), we can
handle these archives.  Besides, I think the "specificality" clause
comes in play here.  Don't you think that "archivers" is more specific
than "emulators" ?  After all, where else would things like "vmware",
"wine", "truereality", etc. go?

> Also, they are usually grouped together even if their functionality
> are diferent, so if we move the extraction-only programs to archivers,
> users will have to search both archivers and emulators to find
> something that can read binhex.

Not if they know about ``make search key''.  :->

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>