Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:15:26 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@tanimura.dyndns.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: The sound drivers has been renamed

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 03:09:15 -0400 (EDT),
  Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com> said:

eischen> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Seigo Tanimura wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:10:58 +0900,
>> Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@tanimura.dyndns.org> said:

tanimura> I am planning to rename the sound drivers as follows:
tanimura> - `sound'

tanimura> The generic sound driver, including pcm and midi (to come).

tanimura> - `snd_*'

tanimura> The device-dependent drivers, named after the sound driver modules at
tanimura> this moment.

tanimura> This scheme eliminates unwanted device-dependent drivers (about 260KB
tanimura> in my case) from your kernel.

tanimura> In addition, the module `snd_pcm' will be renamed to `sound', in order
tanimura> to sync with the new naming convention.

eischen> What I liked about 'device pcm' was that it would just work regardless of
eischen> what sound device I had.  I didn't need to know that it was Intel ICH3
eischen> or whatever.

In that case, copy the configuration of the sound drivers from NOTES
to your kernel configuration.

Would it be better if I added them to GENERIC, just like USB?

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@tanimura.dyndns.org> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>