Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 1995 01:00:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Terry Rossi <tpr@picspc01.pics.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New CPU/MB Problems

I have just upgraded my trusty ALR 386/220 (yes 20mhz) motherboard
to a new Alaris MB with IBM Blue Lightning CPU.  I have noticed
a few oddity which I hoped the group could enlighten me on.

1) Enabling an external cache in the CMOS causes a panic
during the memory test.

2) When switching between virtual consoles I notice that the
cursor remains positioned where it was on the last vc for about
the first 3 seconds.  This never happened on the 386, same video
and monitor.

3) I upgraded to the 16mb 486/66 because I could not get my tape
backup to work (Colorado 350) with the ft driver.  When doing
tar -czvf - /etc |ft "etc tar" I would get all kinds of bad things
the most descriptive being "No Pages?" so I assumed that memory
was tight.  With the extra 6mb of RAM I still have this same
symtom with the tar/ft command.  I need to get a backup so that
I can upgrade to 2.0.5 or 2.1 at this rate.  Does anyone have
any ideas on this.

4) The probe section on the boot up reports  this RTC BIOS
error, any ideas

FreeBSD 2.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Oct  3 23:48:05 EDT 1995
    root@pics.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/PICS
RTC BIOS diagnostic error 3
CPU: Cy486DLC (486-class CPU)  Origin = "Cyrix"
real memory  = 16384000 (4000 pages)
avail memory = 14921728 (3643 pages)
using 290 buffers containing 2379776 bytes of memory
Probing for devices on the ISA bus: