Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2014 23:23:03 +0800
From:      bycn82 <bycn82@gmail.com>
To:        ae@freebsd.org, freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/188543: [ipfw] ipfw option `in` is not working on FreeBSD10

Cool!
I just finished the overview of the source code,and finally understood the
`for loop` in the ip_fw2.c roughly,
beside of the coding style,sorry for my ironic words, I want to ask
whether my understanding is correct.

you wrap the packet/frame in the `check frame` or `check packet` which
where invoked in the hook() function, and pass it into the chk() function
and the chk() function will check the `args` against the whole rule set.(
the `chain` variable)

so my question is , does it mean that all the packet need to be checked
against all the firewall rule, sorry I did not have time to
check/understand how we generate the `chain` yet, If it is really working
in this case, I cannot accept that personally!

according to the man page, we have 4 `check point`, I assumed that we have
registered the hook() into 4 different places, for saying , if I have 10K
lines of rules which are for 4st `check point` only, based on current
logic, each packet/frame need to check against the rules for 4 times, and
actually in the 1 2 3rd `check-point` ,the verification are not needed.  I
hope i was wrong,

Can someone kindly explain the correct logic ? thanks very much!