Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:05:52 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt848 card identification...

Sren Schmidt:
 |The funny thing is that fxtv wont use the DGA extension, whereas it works
 |just fine with 0.46 ??? it complains that the Xserver isn't local ??
 |Maybe its a compilefualt here, I just made it from ports...
 |XSERVER: 'The XFree86 Project, Inc' v3320,  Protocol Verson 11.0
 |Shm Extension not available...X Server isn't local.
 |XF86DGA not available...X Server isn't local.

No, probably not a compile fault.  If you built from the port, it didn't
build using HAVE_XFREE86=NO.

The issue is probably your $DISPLAY isn't set to one of the local IPC
forms.  I.e.  :0, :0.*, unix:0, unix:0.*.  For example, 127.0.0.1:0.0 will
be treated as remote.

If the display is set using an IP or a hostname, fxtv 0.47 like most X
clients will just assumes it's remote for the purposes of utilizing any
local-server-only features like XShm or DGA.

Randall