Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 1999 17:55:44 -0800
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fwd: Re: HEADS UP: Postfix is coming. new uid, gid required.

At 09:42 AM 1/1/99 -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>       discussion is being MOVED to freebsd-test.  please subscribe to
>       freebsd-test.  this is an mild abuse of freebsd-test, but i
>       have checked with the postmaster, its okay ;)  he doesnt want
>       to set up another list right now.
>
>       please do not send anymore mail on this subject to either
>       current or committers.

I think it's entirely germane and appropriate for -current.

>sendmail and postfix ports:
>     the user by default is left without an MTA.  this is like sun
>     shipping solaris without a compiler.....PITA.
>
>     PITA for the "moderately knowlegeable user".   bad for the
>     "minimal hassle" user.  the "expert user" will do it their way.

This is personally my preferred option.  The number of new Unix
installations that
need a MTA, that really need a MTA, is dropping fast.  I think a "default"
distribution that ships with no MTA is a good idea.  Call me a heathen, but
IMHO getting MTA's off the desktop computer and off anything but dedicated
SMTP/POP/IMAP mailhosts is where things are going.  We would be doing newbie
users a favor by not installing something they probably don't really need.
The only essential MTA-ish functionality is the ability to accept and queue
locally-injected mail for relaying to a mailhost, which could be handled by
a far simpler (and less politicized) program than a full-blown MTA.

K.I.S.S.,

	Brian