Date:      Mon, 29 Feb 2016 20:41:08 -0700
From:      Sergey Manucharian <sm@ara-ler.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping some locales/encodings?

Excerpts from Baptiste Daroussin's message from Tue 01-Mar-16 00:23:

> I would like to remove (provided that unicode version are available)
>
> Here is the list of locales/encodings:
>
> be_BY.CP1251
> be_BY.CP1131
> hi_IN.ISCII-DEV
> hy_AM.ARMSCII-8
> zh_HK.Big5HKSCS
>
> Provided that those should be covered by respectively:
> be_BY.ISO8859-5 be_BY.UTF-8
> hi_IN.UTF-8
> hy_AM.UTF-8
> zh_HK.UTF-8 zh_Hans_HK.UTF-8
>
> Anyone has a strong opinion against this removal?

Well, as a locale hy_AM.ARMSCII-8 is definitely not needed. However, as
an encoding it's still useful: sometimes I (and probably some other people)
need to convert some "ancient" documents from ARMSCII-8 to UTF-8.

I do not think that the removing it will prevent such conversion anyway
(e.g. with iconv), correct?

Sergey

P.S. "hy" = Hayastan = Armenia