Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:23:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need Help with Modem and PPP

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Chris Fedde wrote:

> jfreeze@qx.net writes:
>  +---------------
>  | Hi Chris:
>  | Thanks for the advice.
>  | I tried what you said.
>  |  # tip cuaa1c
>  |  # /dev/cuaa1: Device not configured
>  |  # link down
>  | I'm new, but I know this doesn't look good.
>  | The solution may be simple, but I am not sure
>  | how to proceed from here.
>  +---------------
>
> It looks like your device directory is not set up right.
> Do the following...
>
>     dmesg | grep sio

The dmesg output Jim originally posted showed

	sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
	sio0: type 16550A
	sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
	sio1 not found at 0x2f8
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...and he's trying to use /dev/cuaa1 for his modem, so he'll probably need
to, as you say:

> If nothing shows up you'll need to remake the device files.
>
>     cd /dev
>     ./MAKEDEV cua0
>     ./MAKEDEV cua1
>
> Then start over with the tip stuff.

I could be wrong, but doesn't he need two As in the device names? That is,
cuaa0 and cuaa1.

Another thing I noticed was the discrepancy Jim asked about in the two
dialup examples he originally posted:

----------------------
I have some questions about the contents of this file - /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.
Particularly the set login line.  The ppp-and-slip document gives the
following as an example:
 set login "TIMEOUT 10 \"\" \"\" gin:--gin: foo work: bar col: ppp"
The /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample gives a different version of this line:
 set login "ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: ppp word: ppp"
----------------------

Looks like in the first example, the dialup server asks the user to
specify a protocol (hence "col: ppp") and in the second one it doesn't.
Exactly what this line should be depends on the behavior of your ISP's
dialup service. I figured mine out by dialing in manually with a terminal
emulator, and noting exactly what text it emitted and what response it was
looking for.

Have fun...

--
Chris Hill                     chris@monochrome.org