Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:00:34 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        alvermark@teligent.se
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Adaptec card and FreeBSD 2.2.2

[ It is usually best to send SCSI problems to the freebsd-scsi list ]

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 19:26:29 +0100, Jakob Alvermark wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> We are having problems with FreeBSD 2.2.2 and some Adaptec SCSI card.
> This is the errors showing on the screen:
>
> "Timed Out in dataout phase.
>   SCSISIGI=0xe6
>   SEQADDR=0x133
>   SCSISEQ=0x12
>   Issued Cannel A bus reset.
>   2 SCB's aborted "
>
> "The SCSI bus had locked up or lost connection with the harddrive
> again."
>
> I have only heard a rumor that there might be a problem with FreeBSD 2.2.2
> and the Adaptec SCSI cards and heavy load. Is this true?
>
> This has happened to several machines. It seems to happen about once every
> week. The machines have quite heavy load at times.
>
> Is this a known problem? How to fix? Change SCSI-card to a different
> brand? Upgrade to a newer release of FreeBSD?

In general, a timeout during datain, dataout, command phase, etc., is due
to cabling or termination problems.

The old FreeBSD SCSI layer (before 3.0) did have some problems, but the
above bug is hardware-related, and probably not software.  There have been
many, many bugs fixed in CAM, as well as in the Adaptec driver in CAM.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org