Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:11:53 -0400
From:      "sasson, shuki" <sasson_shuki@emc.com>
To:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   IPv6 protocol switch implementation.

Hi, I've been reading through the implementation code of IPv6 and
specifically ip6_input. I see the following.
IPv6 uses the same protocol switch to process both the protocols (like =
UDP &
TCP) and also the option headers like Fragmentation.
My question is:
Are these numbers are promised to be aligned even in the future? =
Basically
if a protocol number will be the same as an option number this will not
work.

The same question applies to IPv4 (even though your implementation is =
not
using this trick there). Can we safely process IPv4 options the same =
way?

Thanks,
Shuki Sasson
Principal Engineer, Network Storage Group
	EMC=B2  	=09
where information lives

Phone: 508 305 8515
FaxNo: 508 435 8901