Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 11:11:44 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Noack" <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        "Kaiwai Gardiner" <kaiwai.gardiner@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1 RELEASE compiling problems:

Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:
> Hi, I am experiencing problems compiling FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE; the
> following link has the relevant information:
>
>  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=97240
>
> The file does exist in the src/contrib/gcc directory, but it seems that
> the compiler/installer isn't picking it up.

Compiling world or kernel with '-Os' is not supported.  Here is the
CFLAGS comment in /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf:
"CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.  Note
that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not recommended or
supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any
nonstandard optimization settings to -O or -O2 before submitting bug
reports without patches to the developers."

In this case, I would recommend removing the CFLAGS entry from
/etc/make.conf (to get the default settings of "-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
-pipe") and adding the following line to /etc/make.conf:

CPUTYPE?=pentiumpro

This will automatically add "-march=pentiumpro" to your CFLAGS.

-Jonathan