Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 17:56:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA observations in FreeBSD 4.6-RC

It seems Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> SS> > 1. PR kern/37060: kernel panic with hw.ata.tags=1 in ata-disk.c:710
> SS> >    filed April 14 (five weeks ago)
> SS> >
> SS> >    The kernel does not boot at all on my machine.
> SS> >    This PR has never been replied to, but it's marked as critical with
> SS> >    high priority because it's a show-stopper.
> SS> >
> SS> >    This MUST be fixed before 4.6 RELEASE. If the fix is: disable ATA
> SS> >    tagged queueing altogether not only by default, but also ignore
> SS> >    hw.ata.tags, so be it.
> SS>
> SS> This is a known problem (for some) but until now I havn't been able
> SS> to reproduce it here at all, and hence have not been able to
> SS> work on a fix. The solution would be to make a note in the docs
> SS> somewhere that there is potential problems on some HW wtih this..
>
> Well, Soren, I already told I have test box with serial console and
> would be very happy to help track these bugs down (actually, I've already
> made an account for you there -- so just contact me privately, please ;-)

Well, Dmitry, as I've already said numerous times that wont help me much,
since this problem is almost certainly related to some very subtle timing
(or it would fail on all systems), its more or less impossible to catch
without the HW here in my lab where I can throw my ATA test gear at it..

> I realize that at the very moment it would be inappropriate to deep
> digging due to RC stage for 4.6. But, sooner or later (and I personally
> prefer sooner, you know :) this should be fixed.

Of cause it should, and belive me I'm doing all I can to try get this
nailed. But I do have a real life as well, and a fulltime job, 3 kids,
vife and lots of other important things to care for, so excuse me if
I dont work 24 hours a day on this problem...

-Søren