Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:00:23 -0600
From:      Nick Pavlica <linicks@gmail.com>
To:        Christopher Lane <colane@inteliport.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall + CVSup or just CVSup?

On Apr 7, 2005 9:12 AM, Christopher Lane <colane@inteliport.com> wrote:
> Nick Pavlica wrote:
> > Chris,
> >   I alway install the ports that I want during my initial installation
> > so I'm not sure what the best post installation method is.  I would
> > venture to say that cvsup would be you best bet.
> >
> > --Nick
> >

> My goal is to have the latest ports, regardless of which ones I actually
> want to install.  I guess my question is more "can I CVSup without first
> installing the ports collection, and if I do so, does that save time or
> take longer?"
>
> - Chris

Using cvsup is the way to go for getting the latest ports.  I believe
that you can use cvsup without installing the ports collection from
cd.  I would suggest configuring the ports-supfile and running cvsup
(cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile).  You should also update your base with
cvsup and make buildworld as described in the handbook.

--Nick