Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2006 05:57:20 -0400
From:      Keith Phipps <keith.phipps@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sparkling Brand New FreeBSD Admin

Good Day,

    My name is Keith and I"ve just been promoted to our Unix SysAdmin at
work. I'll be working with a team of guys in the Ops department but the
majority are Windows Admins. I'm not completely lost when it comes to
using *nix, I use it as my Desktop and know Slackware and Ubuntu fairly
well. I've installed FreeBSD a few times on servers, but that's about
the extent of my server knoweledge and BSD.

    My duties in the beginning are not going to be that complex, I'll be
building out boxes, racking them, health checks, running backups,
generating keys, etc.. However, soon after my promotion date (11th of
September I start) I'll be given more and more boxes to manage. Most of
our infastructure is built on BSD, so I'm going to have upwards of 40
appliances to manage and maintain.

    My questions really come down to this; I'll be working with 4.x and
6.1 boxes. Are there any global issues with them I should be concerned
about, something you guys as admins have to deal with regularly. The
boss also said something that confused me, said I'd need to make the
builds and compile php, perl, and mysql into the Kernel. I've never done
much Kernel work (much, lets start with any) but it's always been my
understanding that with BSD if I wanted to install PHP, PERL, and MySQL
on a box, I'd just pkg_add it. I've never heard of it actually being
compiled in the kernel.

    Right now my biggest resources have to be google and the O'Reilly
book "Essential Sys. Admin." but I'd like to have a reference guide more
suited to only the FreeBSD platform. Any recommendations on this as well?

    Thanks for your time,
    -Keith