Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:17:38 +0900
From:      Rob Lahaye <lahaye@snu.ac.kr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why does cvsup + supfile delete all my ports ?

Hello,

For my FreeBSD 4.8 PC, my supfile for cvsup contains:

*default host=cvsup2.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

When I run "cvsup -L2 supfile", it deletes all the ports.
Why is that?

I then have reinstalled the ports (from "/stand/sysinstall").
I also changed the supfile to:

*default host=cvsup2.freebsd.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

(Only the "tag" has changed from "RELENG_4" to the dot ".").

This works; well, at least the ports are not deleted, but updated.
But updated to what?

Why can I not use the RELENG_4 for my 4.8 ports selection?

Will the dot update my ports to the ports of 5.x series?
If so, will that cause trouble for my 4.8 system?

What should I do to safely update my ports?

Thanks!
Rob.