Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:00:50 -0600
From:      Tyson Boellstorff <perlcat@alltel.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rdesktop disappears into the background, related to upgrade

I have two machines running FreeBSD -- a desktop running 6.2-RELEASE synced
and built January 2007 and a laptop running 7.0-STABLE.

On the desktop, I can run rdesktop over the vpn attached to 127.0.1.10:33890.
Works great.

On the laptop, I can start rdesktop, but it disappears into the background
immediately after starting -- I can find the process ID and kill it, but I
can never get to the remote machine.

I've tried manually running it as
rdesktop -f -a8 -rsound:off -rclipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD -b -0 -4
127.0.1.10:33890 for some conservative settings, but no luck.

Could this be an Xauthority issue, or does anybody have any ideas? I've gone
so far as reinstalling 6.2-RELEASE on a test machine with no luck, so
whatever changed (it wasn't rdesktop -- get the same failure if I run the
desktop rdesktop binary from the laptop, and I am highly unwilling to csup
and upgrade my one working system.)

I need to stop obsessing over this and get to work...