Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:02:09 -0400
From:      Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>
To:        Stephen Hoover <shooverfbn@442spot.com>
Cc:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about vinum and failure of root partition

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 11:15:53AM -0500, Stephen Hoover wrote:
> Subject: Re: Questions about vinum and failure of root partition
>
> >i'm not sure about putting /usr on the vinum mirror as
> >i've seen recommended -- you often want /usr in
> >single user mode.
>
> Now this is getting out of my realm of experience, but why
> is that an issue? I have my /usr mirrored with vinum and when
> I dropped down to single usr mode to do an installworld for
> instance, I just start vinum and mount the volume.

i guess i'm anticipating having to go into single user
to deal with problems without running vinum -- for instance,
problems with vinum / remounting partitions? ... maybe
vinum is solid enough that that's not an issue...

if you do want to put /usr on a vinum partition, you're
back to the bootstrapping problem -- where to install
/usr during the freebsd install, what to do with that
space afterwards.

i guess you could (still with the 2 slice model)
install /usr on ad2s2b, install vinum, copy /usr to
the vinum mirror, reassign ad2s2b as swap?
ad2s2b would have to be big enough for a minimal
/usr install, which is probably reasonable anyway...?

i haven't really figured out what to do about /tmp --
leaving it on / seems like a bad idea, symlinking
it somewhere else seems bad too (again, for single
user). i saw a recommendation to make it an 'mfs'
filesystem (man mfs_mount), but putting that in
/etc/fstab

  /dev/ad0s1b   /tmp  mfs  rw  0  0

seems to assign the whole swap partition to it, which
means having multiple swap partitions (to add actual swap).

if you run mount_fs with '-s', you can limit the number
of sectors used by the mfs filesystem -- which would
be nice: you could have a large swap for crashdumps,
use some of it for /tmp and some of it for swap.
the problem is figuring out where to put the mount_mfs
command -- rc.local runs too late in the boot process...

- rob