Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:01:12 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Excessive crashing of Netscape?

Ludwig Pummer wrote:

> At 10:26 AM 2/9/98 +0100, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:
> >
> >I run Netscape 4.04 regularly on FreeBSD and Solaris SPARC boxes,
> >and those problems happen with both machine types, identically.
> >I think that the problem is in the UNIX port of Netscape.
> >

> I wouldn't say this is limited to the Unix port. Netscape 4 for Win95
> crashes quite regularly on the 3 machines in my house that run it, and on
> those it locks up the whole machine.
> But then I've also heard of people who have absolutely no problems with
> Netscape 4 for Win95. I don't have any problems with Netscape 4 for FreeBSD
> (2.2.5, running XFree 3.3.1).
> --Ludwig Pummer

I think that most Netscape 4.04 problems are related to the mail/news
reader. Web browsing is fairly stable, but the mail reader has
some flaws. I have not tested NS4 for W95, but I also use
regularly NS4 for Macintosh and it runs pretty well; crashes and
locks are rare. I must say that I use NS4 as mail reader
because of its IMAP capabilities, mailbox management and filters,
but I have to kill-9 the NS process almost every day on both
FreeBSD and SPARC/Solaris boxes.

In summary, the problems with Netscape 4.04 that I have seen running
it on FreeBSD 2.2.5 also happen when running NS4 on Solaris/SPARC,
with ONE exception: on FreeBSD 2.2.5/XFree86 3.3.1, and when I open
a mailbox or a newsgroup, NS4 locks itself for several seconds after
reading the message headers; then it awake and after that it behaves
normally. This problem does not manifest itself on SPARC/Solaris.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139