Date:      Wed, 20 May 2009 20:36:58 -0400
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FSF v Cisco on GPL reached settlement

Xin LI wrote:
> For those who are interested:
>
> http://www.fsf.org/news/2009-05-cisco-settlement.html

Huh.  The results of this aren't going to be what the FSF prays for, I think.
I've worked for more than one company who said, basically, that they would
contribute "tomorrow".  They really honestly never wanted to, and were just
expecting that they'd never be sued over it ... no few are  in direct
non-compliance, I'm sure a lot of you folks know as many companies that do this
as I do, that part of this mail  is no guess at all.

I expect that one major fallout of this is going to be, a number of companies
waking up and realizing that they maybe should quit waiting for the other shoe
to drop, and take some sort of pre-emptive action.  I'm sure the FSF expects
that a large number of companies will just start living up to the rules, but I'm
wondering if instead, a large slice of those companies are either going to buy
one of the *many* reasonably priced OS alternatives, or even go for one of the
BSD's (the BSD's all have some really strong companies offering a good level of
support).  I don't know, don't even have a guess, as to what fraction of folks
will decide to go to a Linux alternative, but I think it'll be more than the FSF
thinks it'll be.

It's even possible that FreeBSD will itself get a user bump out of our more open
license, because at least some of those companies will look, and see what's out
there to be gotten.  Like I said, it won't be a gigantic percentage, but more
than what's expected, I think.