Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:19:43 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Randall Hamilton <nitedog@silly.pikachu.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:Fish ? Who mentioned Fish ?

Randall Hamilton wrote:
> > It's a well-defined subset, too.  It can be described with a single
> > word:
> >
> > politicians
>
> funny you should mention that. last i heard, most contries have politicians
> in one form or another.

Perhaps there's another category he's talking about: people like you.

You're the exact reason many people who don't know better hate
Americans: they've met only examples like you.  I happen to know
better only because I've met many admirable, well-informed,
globally-minded Americans, but sometimes I wonder whether those people
are really the exceptions, and people like you are really the rule.
(I'm living in the US at present, in one of the more progressive and
cosmopolitan cities).

> maybe he would point out that we are all evil...that our murder rate is high
> compared to other contries, or that our rape quota is too high..
> all while comparing it to a country with less people then just one US state.

Perhaps you can look at some figures before spouting off.

Population of European Union in 2000 (15 member countries, which are
comparable in area to US states): 377 million

Population of US (50 states) in 2002: around 280 million

Even the population of tiny Netherlands (17 million) is much more than
the avg population per state of the US.

I saw an article in a mainstream US newspaper not long ago, which
argued, apparently seriously, that Europeans are more worried about
global warming than the US because if water levels rise, there's
plenty of room inland for coastal Americans to move in, but there's no
more room inland in Europe.

- Rahul