Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 10:29:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        dima@FreeBSD.org (Dima Ruban)
Cc:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com, lithium@cia-g.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adduser program in C

(Also moved to -chat)

> First: this is not small tool.
> Second: this is slow tool.
> Third: this is not standard unix tool.

Fourth: `Second' and `Third' are wrong. :)

Perl is certainly one of the fastest scripting languages.

Perl is getting more and more standard, it's not only FreeBSD that
ships with it installed by default, or at least readily available on
the intallation medium.

(Of course, the last is also true for Tcl.)

> Perl is one of those tools.
>
> I can't agree.

But you fail to explain your reasons for disagreeing. ;)

I've seen more than one person finally pick my advise, and use Perl
instead of sh/awk/grep/... for more complex projects.  Mind you, these
are people who know their tools well, my colleague is in Unix since
the 2BSD era.  However, shell is a rather poor programming language in
several respects (have you ever seen a shell quotation orgy?), so for
more complex tasks, learning something else pays off quickly.

--
cheers, J"org