Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:26:08 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, weif@weif.net
Cc:        bh@izb.knu.ac.kr, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't upgrade - catch-22

On Friday 26 October 2007, Keith Seyffarth said:
> > > On FreeBSD before 6.2 ports system unfortunately can not set
> > > default X11BASE by itself so please help it a bit by setting
> > > X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in make.conf.
> > > On the other hand, if you do wish to use non-default X11BASE,
> > > please set variable USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE.
> > >
> > > However, even if I edit /etc/make.conf and add either
> > > X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} or X11BASE=/usr/X11R6, I still get this
> > > error.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions or recommendations on how to get ruby
> > > installed? I think once I have that installed, I should be able
> > > to get port-upgrade fixed and then maybe be able to get some
> > > patches downloaded... I would really appreciate any tips or
> > > suggestions.
> > >
> > > output of uname -a:
> > > FreeBSD computer.weif.net 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0:
> > > Thu Nov 3 09:36:13 UTC 2005
> > > root@x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> >
> > There was major change about Xorg; For more details, plase see
> > here:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2007-May/0011
> >31.html
> >
> > I think the upgrade was/is mandatory, not optional ;;
>
> Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it isn't really very helpful.
> I guess I didn't clarify the catch-22 in my previous post.
>
> In order to get X upgraded, I need to get portupgrade working. This
> requires that X already be upgraded. This, in return requires
> portupgrade...
>
> I was starting with trying to get Ruby because that addressed the
> vulnerabilities I was trying it initially address. However, that's
> pretty irrelevant at the moment.
>
> Where I'm stuck is getting either portupgrade working or getting X
> upgraded, both of which seem to be dependent on the other having
> already happened...
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Make sure your ports tree is 100% up to date.

Uninstall portupgrade & all it's dependencies.

cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade && make install clean

Read and follow the instructions in UPDATING for updating xorg

Cheers,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html